Gateway of India is the most visited tourist spots in Mumbai. It is located on the waterfront in the Apollo Bunder, South Mumbai, overlooking the Arabian Sea. It is the best place to explore the real Mumbai amidst mix of locals and tourists while enjoying the famous Mumbai Bhelpuri
Some interesting things to know:
- The structure was built to commemorate the landing of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911 at Apollo Bunder.
- The foundation stone for this monument was laid in 1911 and was completed in 1924.
- The total cost of the construction was ₹2 million (US$30,000) which was funded by the Imperial Government of India.
- Its design is a blend of Hindu and Muslim architectural styles. The arch is of Muslim style while the decorations are of Hindu style. The gateway is built from yellow basalt and reinforced concrete.
- It is located right next to the Hotel Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai & Tower hotel another architectural landmark of Mumbai.