The Khajurao visit was part of my trip to Khajurao – Agra – Fatehpur Sikri and Delhi ( Humayun tomb) in Jan 2017.
The Khajurao temples are famous for their Nagara style of architecture , their erotic sculptures and belong to the traditional religions of Hinduism and Jainism. They are identified under three groups – the western group, the eastern group and the southern group.
The southern group of temples comprise of Duladeo and Chaturbhuj Temple. In this post, I will be covering my visit to the Duladeo temple which is part of the southern group and was one of the last of the temples built by the Chandelas.
Dulodeo’ means “Holy Bridegroom. The Duladeo Temple is located on the bank of the Khodar River in Khajurao. The temple is also known as “Kunwar Math”.
Some interesting things to know:
- it is a nirandhara temple ( meaning it is a temple with no ambulatory path), built between 1000 and 1150 AD and consists of a sanctum, vestibule, maha-mandapa and porch.
- The temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva in the form of a linga. The linga at the shrine has 11 rows of 100 lingas which is unique.
- It is said that all married couples in the near vicinity come to this temple to receive the blessings of lord Shiva after their marrige.
- The apsara , gandharvas and ornamented figures on the extenal walls are the most striking features of this temple.
Duladeo Temple Picture Gallery:
Erotic sculptures at Dulhadev temple:
- The best way to cover Khajurao temples is to visit Western Group of temples first and then hire a bicycle to cover Eastern and Southern Group of temples. Riding a bicycle gives you the flexibility and freedom to visit temple at your own pace and leisure and is cost effective too. You can hire a bicycle for Rs. 50 for full day in Khajurao.
- Best time to visit: Oct – mid March
- How to reach : The nearest Railway station is Mahoba which is 63 km from Khajurao. One can also reach Khajurao from Jhansi which is well connected by train and road.
- One can also visit Orchha which is 15 km from Jhansi while plannnig a visit to Khajurao.