A 700 year old temple in the city of Nizams, Hyderabad sounds very unlikely. However, at a distance of 30 km from Hyderabad and 5 km from Shamshabad Bus Stop,there is Sri Rama Chandra Swamy Temple at Ammapalli village.
Some interesting things to know:
- The temple was built by Vengi kings in 13th century and the idol is said to be 1000 years old.
- The temple is adorned with a large seven-story Gopuram which is majestic.
- There is a large idol of Lord Vishnu in sleeping posture on the Gopuram.
- The Idols of Rama, Sita and Laxmana and its Makara Thoranam are formed from single black rock.
- There is influence of Rajasthani style in the construction which is visible at the Gopuram and step well
- Interestingly, Hanuman usually accompanying Lord Rama, is not seen in the garbhagriha. Instead, Hanuman idol is placed near the Dwaja Sthambam facing Sri Rama. The priest explained that this temple represents the period when Hanuman had not met Rama due which probably explains the placement of Hanuman idol.
- The temple has a very special place in Tollywood due to the popoular belief that movie shooted here does well at box office resulting in at least one shot of this temple in as many as 350 Telegu movies.
- How to reach : The temple is located at about 30 km from Hyderabad, 5 km from the Hyderabad Shamshabad airport.
- Best time is to visit in the early morning